For
those who date with purpose, not because they are lonely and just need company
- or as you guys call it, ‘a special person to be sending me special good
morning and good night messages so I can sleep well’ - the genotype issue can
cause a raised blood pressure when not handled at the initial stage of the
relationship.
I
have no idea what boyfriend read on the net or the discussion he had with his
buddies – because I’m sure something must have necessitated it – but it was
somewhat frightening and at the same time chilling that he called that late
evening inquiring of my genotype.
Frightening
it was because I wasn’t aware of my genotype and he was AS. So many thoughts
rushed down my memory, giving me cold shivers and goose bumps. Oh no! no no no!
Chilling because the thought of boyfriend inquiring of my genotype made me feel
he found me worthy to be a life partner. Hey! He was indeed very lucky to have
me too. Come on! Do you know how many suitors I wade off daily? Oh you haven’t
heard or read about me? The queen of Sheba! The beauty of beauties! The brainiac!
The good luck charm! Should I go on? That should do for today.
‘Sweety, I haven’t checked my
genotype before but my blood group is O+’ I responded in
an effort to sound consoling.
‘Blood group ni’,
he retorted. ‘Can I book an appointment
to the doctor’s tomorrow so we can conduct the test together? Kindly clear your
schedule honey’ he requested in a sexy baritone.
‘Sure Macho’
I answered in a jittery voice devoid of emotions.
That
night we both experienced sleepless nights. Having known boyfriend was AS, I
felt the burden shift on me. The mandate had fallen on me. I had to salvage the
relationship by being AA but it wasn’t for me to say.
I
knelt down, ‘oh Lord, do you still
perform miracles for sinners like us? I need one badly. I promise to be good’
We
chatted all night consoling each other and making efforts to talk about what
our fate will be if we both turned out AS. Boyfriend didn’t want to talk about
such possibility but we couldn’t run from it. We combed the internet looking
for articles and genotype stories until we slept off.
It
was the D-day and boyfriend picked me up at our agreed time as we drove to the
hospital with solemn gestures and bowed faces like convicts. On arrival at the hospital we ran the necessary
test and was told to come the following day for the test results.
I
prayed in my consciousness all day as all my characteristics and bodily
features pointed to one thing, I am a replica of mum who is AS so I had no hope
of being otherwise. I checked and rechecked and squeezed my body in want for
evidence that might give me the slightest hope of being AA like dad. I was so
pathetic.
The
day of the test result came and I was too afraid to call boyfriend. I knew he
was perhaps on his way to the hospital as I wasn’t courageous to join him. Minutes
later a call from my phone startled me as I rushed on realisation that it was
him.
‘Hello boyfriend’
I beckoned from my end straining my ears to pick up the slightest glitter of hope
in his voice
‘Baby’.
He called in a solemn tone.
My
heart shrunk. Boyfriend never sounds like this, ‘so just like that our labour of love will be washed down the drain. Am
I being a drama queen?’ I thought to myself. A tear dropped.
‘Oh my God!’
he screamed. ‘Girlfriend you are AA’
jubilation drowned his voice.
I
felt hot tears of joy roll down my face. Very hot one.
We
screamed and yelled into the phone in excitement and lack of what to say. That gratitude
moment that words can just not express adequately. We stuttered, we stammered,
we giggled, we laughed, we everything. It was a huge relieve. Well, we broke up
years ago. But I felt like sharing the story.
You
know when you’ve found someone so compatible with your spirit, body and soul,
someone who is a perfect match for you, someone who loves you at your worst and
best, then suddenly you realise you could lose him or her in a twinkle of an
eye? That feeling is worse than heartbreak itself. Who says love is not sweet?
Share
your genotype story with us if you have any. Do you know your genotype? Are you
compatible with your man or woman?
@PENNITT

I had to check mine before I get heartbreak after loving someone madly. This was because of what happened to a friend who loved this guy and they were about to marry, only to realise they were both AS. I don't want story a beg cos stubborn me would just go ahead and marry my love, no try me o
ReplyDeleteAhhh. Such stubbornness. Consequences are too grave o
DeleteThat's why I had to know my genotype in order to save my generation. I'm a free bird, I fit marry SS sef. Lolz.....
DeleteLooool. Same here my dear
DeleteNice one dear, I have share to epp the human race
ReplyDeleteBy all means please do
DeleteAmazing. It's painful working on a long relationship only to be separated inevitably.
ReplyDeleteOverly painful my dear
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePhew!..what a story?. I was very scared and had immediate hypertension as I read along!. This is absolutely real and can happen to anyone. Amazing story, top notch!
ReplyDeleteAwww. Thanks a lot Moses. Happy new month
Delete