Monday, 25 July 2016

DEAR AMBITIONS

"What do you want to be in future"?
We chorused in response with eyes glittering and full of hope, varied answers ranging from 'I want to be a doctor', 'I want to be a lawyer', 'I want to be an engineer', 'I want to be a pilot' etc.
These were the common replies we gave in our innocence and of course every parent expected to hear such. Anything away from these set is outright disappointment on the part of the mothers and fathers.
Schools segregated us into arts and sciences and a few commercial students in a bid to help us follow our dreams. This was a good step no doubt.
Dad being an educationist would always echo and re-echo the need for me to become a lawyer as I had a witty way of speaking up for myself and others at all times. He wouldn't just let it go. He had divided the professions to suit my siblings and I. 'You will be a lawyer, you will be a doctor, you will be an engineer.
I constantly fell into a reverie thinking and basking in the euphoria of my life as a top earning and popular lawyer arguing cases and being a voice to the voiceless. I could always see dad nodding and smiling with pride whenever he overheard me engaging my siblings or mum in a war of words objectively and confidently stating my case. To me, being a lawyer was just a step away. It was just a matter of time.
I got my first blow after writing my first jamb at the age of 15 and missing the admission. What did I do wrong I asked myself? I got admission for my second choice of course which I proceeded to study while still preparing for Jamb the second time hoping to abandon the first course once I get the admission.
Again, I failed and that just got me despaired. You can imagine the disappointment and look of disgust on dad's face. It felt as if I couldn't succeed without law and as he proceeded to buy another form for me the following year, I told him a big NO. I'll be going to year 3 and I can't afford to waste these years.
Things have changed today. By God's grace I've recorded good successes in life. Some days I wake up doubting even the sanity of my own decisions and life's choices. Some days I feel robust and full of energy, motivation and vision for a great future.
Do not despair. Try not to compare yourself with others. We are on different paths. Some will crawl, some with walk, some will roll, and some will run, some will drive, but with hard work and determination we can all get to our destination.
I had a life changing encounter last night with a Mentor. I confessed my fears and inner struggles to him and he advised me accordingly. He made me realize that I’ve been too hard on myself. I should stop to count my blessings and quit complaining about the things I do not have.
Some might look at you like the man or woman with a life well sorted out. She/he has got it all under control. But I know we all have inner issues we are battling with. Rise above your limitations and challenges. Do not allow it inhibit you. Leave no chance for laziness. It is better late than never.
Pa Adeboye wrote, "There are many people who have so many excuses to give as reasons for doing nothing tangible since the beginning of the year. Time waits for no one. Get something doing, it may be small but God will breathe on it and make it great. Stop waiting for that loan from the bank before you start that business. Challenge yourself to launch out into the deep and you will be surprised that there is life on the other side.”
There are many people who are unemployed because they are waiting for appointments from oil companies. “IT IS NOT THE JOB YOU DO THAT WILL DETERMINE YOUR PROSPERITY; IT IS HOW YOU DO WHAT YOU DO"
Just don't give in to laziness. Do not let failure discourage you. Don’t let friends make you doubt yourself. You couldn't fulfill those childhood dreams? Well, it is not too late. Identify and work your abilities, develop your skills, re-strategize, re-shape and re-structure your life. You can begin on a clean slate. Yes you can. Find what you love doing. Do not fold your hands and invite God to take control of all your assignments. It doesn't work that way.
Have a blessed new week lovelies. I hope someone is inspired today.
@PENNITT

photocredit: speakzeasy.wordpress.com


19 comments:

  1. Oh well, most of us have been through the "you're a disappointment" phase. I don't blame our parents, really. They just don't how else one can succeed. Nice write up dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True dear. They actually do mean well for us. But society has really changed. You must not be a lawyer to succeed in life. Not all lawyers are successful sef.

      Some are agreement lawyers😂

      Delete
  2. Great piece Pennitt, my day just got a good shape. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing, keep it up dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write up dear. Most of us have personally been tagged failures becomes of not meeting up to our parents expectations or society expectations. All in all keeping a positive and optimistics outlook combined with hardwork will get us there. Thanks dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had our fair share. But one has to be bold enough to tread the part of our calling. Harness your innate abilities.

      Delete
  5. Purpose pursuit. The path to its discovery and fulfillment isn't always easy. When you feel that inner struggle and unsatisfied about who and where you are,the purpose is looking for expression. But don't be idle because purpose is discoverable via persistence. To succeed, double your failure rate" says Murdock, Mike.
    Nice piece Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of Nigerian parents have a way of shoving their expectations down our throats. But it takes guts to rebuff their demands especially as regards our career choices. At the end of the day we're responsible for our actions, for whatever we become. It's essentialwe discover our true essence and make the most of our existence.

    Nice one Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Temi. We will live with the consequences of those decisions hence care must be taken.

      Delete
  8. A couple of Nigerian parents have a way of shoving their expectations down our throats. But it takes guts to rebuff their demands especially as regards our career choices. At the end of the day we're responsible for our actions, for whatever we become. It's essentialwe discover our true essence and make the most of our existence.

    Nice one Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great points Gloria. And I think inculcating core values to kids will pay more than just pushing career path, as it's these core values that makes the child successful irrespective of the career and attracts favor from those around him/her.

    Ivanka Trump said and I quote "There's nothing we cannot do if we marry vision, passion and an enduring work ethic", those are among the core values to be taught our kids

    I mean it will pay more to (in addition to academics) teach a child to take his plate away after eating or to see something in the wrong place and re-position it (sense of responsibility ), to respect boundaries, to keep to time, to always put on a smile, to have the mentality that anything is achievable, to have the work mentality and not the entitlement mentality etc.

    A lawyer who always appears late to court will soon run out of clients, a sales rep in whose face a smile can never be found will soon have his warehouse full of unsold goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vision, passion and ethics.

      Thank you for the interesting perspective Nkem.

      Delete
  10. I think a lot of parents should read this...nice one dear

    ReplyDelete

You enjoyed reading? Don't be selfish. Pen that thought.